Spencer Compound Monocular Microscope
This microscope was introduced in 1902 by the Spencer Lens Company of Buffalo, New York. The model featured below was redrawn from a photograph of the original microscope, which is part of the Billings microscope collection at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington DC.
The pillar, stage and body tube are supported by a heavy horseshoe base that is painted black. A handle is incorporated into the tubular pillar, and the stationary stage has a vulcanite top with a pair of clips to secure the specimen. Focus is achieved through a rack and pinion mechanism controlled by a large knob on the pillar adjacent to the body tube. The double mirror is supported on the underside of the stage by means of a gimbal connected to a swinging arm.
Questions or comments? Send us an email.
© 1998-2022 by Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University. All Rights Reserved. No images, graphics, scripts, or applets may be reproduced or used in any manner without permission from the copyright holders. Use of this website means you agree to all of the Legal Terms and Conditions set forth by the owners.
This website is maintained by our