Microscopy Primer
Light and Color
Microscope Basics
Special Techniques
Digital Imaging
Confocal Microscopy
Live-Cell Imaging
Photomicrography
Microscopy Museum
Virtual Microscopy
Fluorescence
Web Resources
License Info
Image Use
Custom Photos
Partners
Site Info
Contact Us
Publications
Home

The Galleries:

Photo Gallery
Silicon Zoo
Pharmaceuticals
Chip Shots
Phytochemicals
DNA Gallery
Microscapes
Vitamins
Amino Acids
Birthstones
Religion Collection
Pesticides
BeerShots
Cocktail Collection
Screen Savers
Win Wallpaper
Mac Wallpaper
Movie Gallery

Andrew Ross Compound Monocular Microscope

Andrew Ross was a skilled English optician who crafted the monocular compound microscope sometime between 1841 and 1842. The illustration of the instrument provided below was drawn from photographs of the original microscope, which was described by Gerard Turner in The Great Age of the Microscope.

A compass joint with a clamping screw holds the limb of the brass Ross microscope to the instrument's short pillar and base. A bearing at the end of the pillar enables rotation and inclination of the instrument. The optical system of the microscope consists of a Huygenian eyepiece and an unsigned objective that was inspired by the achromatic lens designs of Joseph Lister. Attached to the lower part of the microscope's limb by a brass bar, a plano-concave mirror may be adjusted to gather light. The Ross microscope also features a mechanical stage with an upper plate that rotates and slides as needed. Beneath the stage, a three-aperture rotating disc facilitates control of specimen contrast, resolution, and illumination. A rackwork mechanism, which moves the monocular body tube and is mounted on a dovetailed slide, may be manipulated to achieve coarse focus, while a short lever attached to the nosepiece of the instrument controls fine focus.

During the period from 1837 to 1841, Ross worked in partnership with Lister and their joint efforts helped transform the microscope from a toy or parlor oddity into an important scientific tool. However, upon dissolution of the collaboration, Ross formed his own optical instrument firm. Unlike devices he constructed during the Lister partnership, the monocular compound microscope featured here bears a serial number. The inscription "No. 73," along with the engraving "Andw Ross London," is a clear indication that the instrument is an independent production of Ross constructed at his shop on Regent Street in London.

BACK TO NINETEENTH CENTURY MICROSCOPES

Questions or comments? Send us an email.
© 1998-2013 by Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University. All Rights Reserved. No images, graphics, scripts, or applets may be reproduced or used in any manner without permission from the copyright holders. Use of this website means you agree to all of the Legal Terms and Conditions set forth by the owners.
This website is maintained by our
Graphics & Web Programming Team
in collaboration with Optical Microscopy at the
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory.
Last modification: Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:43 AM
Access Count Since March 12, 2003: 15737
For more information on microscope manufacturers,
use the buttons below to navigate to their websites: